Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Paleo mayonnaise...or just real-actual-truthfully-true-made-from-food-not-chemicals mayonnaise.

This mayo isn't really paleo per se.  It's just homemade.  Real food.  Which semi-by-default makes it paleo.  The point, whether it's paleo or not, is that it is made with whole foods, we determined our ingredients, and used our (and by that I mean my husband's) own manperson-power to make it.

Eggs.  Oil.  S&P.  A squirt (sorry, I had to say squirt) of dijon mustard.  Boom...or actually...Blend.  MAYO!  

This was a first-go for us at making mayonnaise! It's one of those things that we'd like to stop buying at the grocery store because there are A TON of additives and junky stuff in most store-bought mayo.  Bummer.  I have a running list of things I want to start making myself (or have my cave-man make...as demonstrated below!).  Maybe sometime I'll share it with you.  If you're lucky.  Or if I ever get around to it...

Thankfully there are quite a few places on the inter-webs to learn how to make your own mayonnaise!  I started here with Michelle from Nom Nom Paleo (btw: I wish I could look as cute as her in pig-tails) and ended up using the recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl.  

I'm not going to lie.  We weren't in love with our homegrown mayo AT FIRST.  After a few ham-lettuce-tomato-mayo-roll-ups and some tuna salad -- we are sold!  The recipe and directions were spot on, we just want to play with the flavor a bit.  Possibly a different type of oil?  I'll keep you posted.  Because I know you are on the edge of your seat.




No comments:

Post a Comment